Myles Elementary Health/Nurses OfficeNurse
Medication and Physical Exams
Beginning 7/1/18, New York State law requires that all New York State public school students must have a health exam when they enter school as a new entrant, Kindergarten, and grades 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, and 11. These examinations must be completed on the approved NYSED Student Health Examination Form for the School for the health exam. These physicals must be completed by a New York State licensed physician, physician assistant, or nurse practitioner. They are also offered in school by our school nurse practitioner.For participation in sports: All students participating in school sports must have a yearly physical. Sports physicals are also offered at all schools during the school year. These dates are noted throughout the district calendar, but are subject to change. Please contact your building nurse to be sure of the dates. In addition to the yearly physical, a health history form must be completed and signed by a parent/guardian within 30 days of the start of each sports season.For working papers: A yearly physical is required for working papers.Physical forms are available from the school nurse or on the Web site. The forms may be downloaded for your convenience. NYS requires BMI and WSC (body mass index and weight status category) on mandated physicals. NYS also requests Dental Certificates in mandated physical grades.
- When your child requires medication during the school day, a written physician’s order (including diagnosis), as well as written parent permission is necessary
- Medication must be in the original labeled container. (Your pharmacist can usually provide a second container for this purpose.)
- Medications must be delivered by an adult at the elementary level. This includes prescription band over-the-counter medications
- All medical treatments necessary in school, including crutches, require written medical authorization.
- Please contact your school nurse for medication administration forms.
The school nurse also completes mandated screenings as required by NYS guidelines, such as vision, hearing and scoliosis.Please discuss this with your children to prepare them. As always, please feel free to call the health offices with any questions or concerns.