Acceptable Use Policy for Computer, Network and Internet SafetyOverviewNetwork and Internet access is now available to students and teachers in the New Hartford Central School District. The Internet offers vast, diverse, and unique resources to both students and teachers. The District’s goal in providing this service to teachers and students is to promote educational excellence in schools by facilitating resource sharing, innovation and communication. The Internet is an electronic highway connecting thousands of computers all over the world and millions of individual subscribers.Authorized users have access to:
With access to computers and people all over the world also comes the availability of material that may not be considered to be of educational value in the context of the school setting. On a global network, it is impossible to control all materials and an industrious user may discover controversial information. The New Hartford Central School district firmly believes that the valuable information and interaction available on this worldwide network far outweighs the possibility that users may procure material that is not consistent with the educational goals of the District.Protection of Network ResourcesThe purpose of the New Hartford Central School District’s computer network is to support the educational activities of the school, not to provide an experimental playground for users interested in tampering with the system. Nor is it our purpose to provide an uncontrolled environment in which users can explore all areas of the Internet.
- Electronic mail communication with people all over the world
- Online learning classrooms
- Information and news on the World Wide Web/Internet
- Discussion groups on a plethora of topics.
- Access to many University Library Catalogs, the Library of Congress, and informational databases.
- Users who wish unlimited, unsupervised access to the Internet and all of its areas (IRC chat, FTP, telnet, etc.) are reminded that local Internet access is commercially available from several providers for reasonable monthly fees.
- Parents and taxpayers have the right to know that students are not finding their way into inappropriate areas of the Internet using taxpayer funded equipment and software.
- Users are reminded that use of the network is a privilege, not a right.
The Superintendent will promulgate regulations to implement this policy.
Terms and Conditions of Use
All use of the network must be in support of education and research and consistent with the Purposes of New Hartford Central Schools.
- Users will not disclose their passwords to others or use the passwords of others.
- Users shall not intentionally seek information on, obtain copies of, or modify files, other data, or passwords belonging to other users, or misrepresent other users on the network.
- Users will not attempt to obtain unauthorized access to any account or network function or access level other than those specifically provided for their use.
- Users are not to install software of any type (including control panels or extensions) on any computer without permission from the building technology coordinator or network support personnel.
- Users are not to change control panel or other software settings without permission from the building technology coordinator or network support personnel.
- Software which has the potential to damage the integrity and/or security of the network will not be used on any computers, nor will it be stored in student-accessible space on any of the file servers.
- Users will not damage, disable, or otherwise interfere with the operation of computers, computer systems, software or related equipment through physical action or by electronic means.
- Malicious use of the network to develop programs that harass other users or infiltrate a computer or computing system and/or damage the software components of a computer or computer system is prohibited.
- Students are required to log all connections completely on Internet User Logs at each workstation when accessing Internet resources.
- Users will not use the NHSD computer network to obtain, download, send, print, display or otherwise gain access to or to transmit materials that are unlawful, obscene, pornographic, or abusive.
- Users will not install, upload, or download materials which infringe on the rights of others, including but not limited to, software programs, music, designs, and all kinds of literary and artistic works, nor will they use software not provided by the New Hartford Central School District.
- Students will not give personal information such as their address or phone number to those with whom they correspond via electronic mail.
- Users will not engage in "IRC chat" functions either through the use of their own software, or similar functions provided at some Web sites unless approved by the Building Technology Coordinator.
- Subscriptions to News groups and LISTS must be reported to the Building Technology Coordinator. Prior approval is required for students.
- Mail from News groups and LISTS must be monitored daily and deleted from the personal mail directory to avoid excessive use of file server hard disk space.
- All electronic mail (email) is not guaranteed to be private. People who operate the message system do have access to any mail. Messages relating to or in support of illegal activities may be reported to the authorities.
- The New Hartford Central School District reserves the right to log Internet use and to monitor fileserver space utilization by users while respecting the privacy of user accounts.
- Any use of the network for commercial or for-profit purposes is prohibited.
- Extensive use of the network for personal and private business is prohibited.
- Unauthorized use of the network for product advertisement or political lobbying is prohibited.
- From time to time, the New Hartford Central School’s TIC and TAC Committees will make determinations on whether specific uses of the network are consistent with the Acceptable Use Policy.
- New Hartford Central Schools reserves the right to temporarily remove a user account on the network to prevent further unauthorized activity.
- The New Hartford Central School District makes no warranties of any kind, (whether expresses or implied) for the service it is providing. The New Hartford Central School district will not be responsible for any damages incurred. This includes loss of data (resulting from delays, nondeliveries, misdeliveries) or service interruptions caused by negligence, errors or omissions. The New Hartford Central School District specifically denies any responsibility for the accuracy or quality of information obtained through it’s services.
- All students in grades 5 through 12 will be required to attend an “ Internet Right To Know” awareness session in which the District’s Network and Internet Acceptable Use Policy will be reviewed and it’s implications discussed.
Users are reminded that use of the network is a privilege, not a right.
- Violations may result in a loss of access. Users involved will be informed of the nature of these violations, and will have an opportunity to respond to them.
- Additional disciplinary action may be determined at the building level in line with existing practice regarding inappropriate language or behavior.
- Users may be required to make full financial restitution.
- When applicable, law enforcement agencies may be involved.