• How to earn college credit while in high school

    There are many opportunities for students to earn college credit for successful completion of courses taught at the Senior High School and the BOCES center, while also earning high school credit. 

    • Students enrolled in any of the Advanced Placement courses taught at the Senior High school may earn college credit based upon their AP exam scores.  Students risk nothing by taking the exams; they are not included on your high school transcript, are not included in the calculation of your final course grade, and you control which scores a college receives.  AP exam scores range from a low of 1 to a high of 5.  The college or university in which you enroll will determine the amount of course credit you can receive.  Generally a score of 3 or higher will make you eligible for course credit or exemption from a requirement.  There is no cost later when a college awards you credit.  There is a cost to the student to take the test.  Students must send these scores to the college they attend.  Visit https://apstudent.collegeboard.org/ for more information.                                                                                                                                                                             
    • Students can earn 6 free credit hours for AP French (FR201&202); AP Spanish (SP201& 202); Mandarin 1 (FL111&112), and Mandarin 2 (FL211&212); 4 free credit hours for Algebra 2 & Trig Topics (MA115) and  PreCalculus (MA150); and 3 free credit hours for Accounting (AC110), Introduction to Business (BM100), Personal Finance (BM108),  Elementary  Statistics (MA110), and General Drawing(FA101) from Mohawk Valley Community College.  To be eligible for the college credits students must: Pass the required placement exam/ requirements and successfully complete all requirements of the course(s).  These credits may be transferable to other colleges. 
    • Students can earn 3 credit hours from SUNY Albany for successful completion of Latin 4 and 3 credit hours for Latin 5.  There is universal acceptance of these credits by all schools within the SUNY system.  Grades of a C or better generally allow for transfer of credits to other colleges and universities.  There is a cost to the student and registration generally occurs in the fall semester.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          
    • Students who are enrolled in Design and Drawing for Production, Digital ElectronicsComputer Integrated Manufacturing and/or Principles of Engineering will be able to earn college credit through Rochester Institute of Technology.  Credit for these courses is generally transferable to colleges.  To be eligible a student must earn at least an 85 in the course and earn at least a 6 on the End of Course Exam provided by Project Lead The way.  There is no cost to take the exam, but there is a fee to apply for the credit.  Successful students have until November of the year they took the Exam to apply for credit.  There is a cost to the student.                                                                                                       
    • Students enrolled in a New Visions program through BOCES may earn 3 credits for English 1: Composition (EN101) at Mohawk Valley Community College.  They also have the opportunity to earn 3 free credits for and Personal Finance (BM108) at Mohawk Valley Community College.  There is no cost to the student and the credit may be transferable to other colleges.  
    • Oneida-Herkimer-Madison BOCES also has articulation agreements with numerous post-secondary institutions. The articulation agreements allows students participating in various CTE and New Visions programs with a B or better average, excellent attendance, and a recommendation from the BOCES instructor to earn college credit or gain advanced standing in a program.  Cost varies.  Please visit https://www.oneida-boces.org/Page/854 or contact BOCES (315-793-8618 or 315-793-8660) for more information.




    Another means of earning college credit while still in high school is to actually enroll in a course on a local college campus.  These courses will be included on a student's high school transcript if taken as part of a student's required 5.5 credits, although these courses do not count toward a high school diploma.


    Bridging is generally available to Seniors, who may schedule one or two courses at a local college during the school day, after school or in the evening.  This is a good opportunity for a Senior in good academic standing to experience college prior to graduation, as well as start earning college credit.  Students are responsible for their own transportation to and from classes.  Students are always responsible for the cost of books, fees, etc. associated with the course.  Coursework must be approved by the High School Principal prior to enrollment; cannot replace course requirements for graduation; and taken only if New Hartford does not offer a comparable course. 

    Please see the College Bridging Opportunities section of our website for more information and specific requirements.