• NCAA Clearinghouse Information

    Registration necessary to play Division 1 or 2 college sports  

    Students who are planning on playing on an intercollegiate sports team at a Division 1 or Division 2 college/university need to register with the NCAA Clearinghouse.

    How do I become eligible to play at the Division 1 or 2 level?

    Simply, you must register with the NCAA Clearinghouse.  They have a formula that they complete including your grading information and SAT or ACT scores.  You can figure out if you will be eligible by using the resources that are available.  You can download the NCAA Guide for the College-Bound Student-Athlete at www.ncaa.org under NCAA Rules and Eligibility.  From the main NCAA website you can get to the Clearinghouse website. 


    The NCAA has established guidelines for the number of courses a student must pass in each academic area.  The NCAA requirements DO NOT always correspond with New York State graduation requirements.  In addition, the NCAA has approved which courses at New Hartford meet their requirements in each academic area.  Students should be familiar with these requirements.  New Hartford's list of NCAA approved courses  can be found at http://web3.ncaa.org/ECWR2/NCAA_EMS/NCAA_EMS.html# under Resources then select "List of High School Courses".  You can use 333345 as the High School code. 

    When should I REGISTER?

    Students normally register with the Clearinghouse after their junior year.  Once you have made the decision that you hope to play an intercollegiate sport at a Division 1 or Division 2 school, you need register online.  Do NOT wait until you are headed to pre-season practice your freshman year of college to register!

    How do I REGISTER?

    It is easy.  

    • Go to the NCAA Eligibility Center website - eligibilitycenter.org
    • Complete the NCAA Initial-Eligibility application.  Make sure to remember your PIN.  You are the only one who will know your PIN and you need it to be able to check your eligibility status as you go through the process.
    • At the end of your Senior year, the Counseling Office will access the school's information online and send final transcripts for all students who registered.
    • Now work hard the rest of your senior year and keep in contact with the college coaches that you are interested in playing.
    • This also allows you the opportunity to check your NCAA Clearing House status.

    I earned high school credits in another school district .  What do I need to do?

    Even though those courses are listed on your New Hartford transcript, you must contact the other school(s) and have them send a copy of your transcript from their school directly to the NCAA Clearinghouse. 

    When will I get my final eligibility approval?

    You will not get the final decision until AFTER they review your final transcript.  Once the NCAA Clearinghouse receives your FINAL High School transcript it takes between 5 and 14 days (normally) for them to process your paperwork.  You should check your status at the end of July/ beginning of August at eligibilitycenter.org or call the automated system at 319-339-3003.  You will need your PIN and social security number to access your information.  You can also contact the NCAA at 319-337-1492.  Do NOT wait until you are headed to pre-season practice your freshman year of college to check your status!