The College Application Process
The following tips should help make the process go smoothly:
Remember, this is your main impression to the college/university. The following tips should help make the process go smoothly:
- Put together an organized list of your school and community activities.
- Know what each college requires such as essay, graded writing assignment, recommendation(s), SAT/ACT scores directly from the testing organization, etc.
- Ask individuals if they would be willing to write recommendations for you. You should give them at least a one-month notice! (See Letters of Recommendation section.) Remember you must also put that information into Naviance.
- READ all the instructions.
- When completing a paper application -- make sure to PRINT neatly in INK.
- Read the sections below for specific directions for various applications
Your counselor only knows to send a transcript to a school when you have the information in Naviance in Colleges I'm applyng to. Do Not put colleges in that section until you know you are applying to it. If you are just considering the school it should be listed in"COLLEGES I'M THINKING ABOUT" in Naviance.
- Complete it online at www.suny.edu or www.commonapp.org
- Some SUNY schools will require a supplement. Make sure to see what supplemental materials are required when completing the application (the Common Application and SUNY Application have that information within their application).
MOHAWK VALLEY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (MVCC) AND
HERKIMER COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (HCCC):
- Do NOT use the SUNY application for these schools! They both have FREE applications available on their websites.
- Make sure to put the information in Naviance so your counselor can submit your transcript.
- Normally you do not need recommendations for either college.
THE COMMON APPLICATION:
- Common applications are available at www.commonapp.org.
- You will only need to complete one Common Application. A listing of schools that use the Common Application can be found on the Common App website.
- Make sure you know if any of the schools require a supplemental form. The supplemental requirements can be found within the Common Application for each college.
- Put your list of schools that you are applying to in Naviance under "colleges I'm applying to". Make sure to answer the following questions: type (that is the type of application--regular, rolling, ED, EA) and Are you applying via common app? (Yes)
COLLEGES SPECIFIC APPLICATIONS:
- If you are applying to a college/university that is not part of the SUNY system or does not use the Common Application, you will need to complete the college's application.
- For most schools you will find an application online at their website.
- Make sure to put the college in Naviance under "colleges I'm applying to" and answer the following questions:type(that is the type of application--regular, rolling, ED,EA) and Are you applying via the common app? (No)
REMINDER - Counselors do not need any forms from you.